Arizona State University Downtown Phoenix Campus Sun Devil Fitness Complex
Design Consultants:Architect-Gabor Lorant
- Tight urban site, elevated running track, gymnasium and rooftop swimming pool.
- 6-1/2 foot plate girders span the gymnasium volume, carrying a portion of the rooftop swimming pool.
- Cross property line connection to 1950s Lincoln Family YMCA.
- Structural integration to support a 570,000-pound rooftop pool.
- Project completed 21-days early to align with academic calendar.
This five-story, 70,000-square-foot student recreation center was constructed for Arizona State University (ASU) in the heart of downtown Phoenix. The project was particularly important to ASU students, who voted to fund the construction through increased recreation fees. It includes an indoor track, rooftop swimming pool, large gymnasium, weight room, multi-purpose space, student lounge, bike co-op and locker rooms. The complex also houses Exercise and Wellness, an academic program in ASU’s School of Nutrition and Health Promotion.
2014 Building Team Awards - Platinum Award-BD+CMag
2015 Outstanding Sports Facilities Award-National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA)