University of Arizona Student Success District
Features & Highlights
- Bartlett Academic Success Center - New, 60,000-square-foot, four-story student services building
- Bear Down Gym – Restoration of 70,000-square-foot historic building, and repurposing for a broad spectrum of student services programs
- Main Library and Albert B. Weaver Science-Engineering Library – Remodeling of portions of these services to modernize library services
The Student Success District, Sundt’s 58th project on the University of Arizona campus, creates a campus core that includes the best of the University’s academics, student support and success services. The project has transformed the Main Library and the Albert B. Weaver Science-Engineering Library, and added a new four-story student success building. The renovation and remodeling of Bear Down Gym, originally constructed in 1926, will complete this new interconnected district, which in addition to the building improvements, also includes site development, creating new outdoor spaces designed for student use. The four buildings are linked by canopies, walkways and bridges. The new district will encourage students to move seamlessly between spaces that provide a full range of services and expertise, in support of their academic goals in preparation of their future careers. Students can move from group meetings in expanded collaboration spaces to tutoring sessions to workout classes.
This project is in one of the busiest parts of the campus and has a limited staging area. The Sundt team worked in multiple locations all at the same time and coordinated heavily with the university’s Planning, Design and Construction department to ensure proper sequencing, safety, and quality during construction. The project team conducted the majority of heavy demolition work during the summer months in order to minimize disruptions to campus activities and erected temporary partitions to manage access in various parts of the buildings. Sundt also developed and posted pedestrian access maps as well as A-frame signage around the campus to make it easier to navigate around construction activities.
Notable features within the district include:
- Incorporating of a new opening between the ground floor and lower level of the Main Library with a connecting stair and tiered casual seating finished in wood,
- Development of a new maker space lab and data studio, also in the Main Library
- Adding a new two-story entrance on the east side of the Albert B. Weaver Science-Engineering Library
- Preserving part of the existing gym floor and concrete bleachers in Bear Down Gym