Quincy Courthouse Renovation
Features & Highlights
- Renovation of courtroom within historic courthouse building
- Created structural solution to install ramp from judge’s chambers to courtroom
Built in 1920, the historic Plumas County Courthouse was in need of an additional courtroom to help ease overcrowding. The project included converting and renovating the building’s existing 1,600-square-foot library into a new court bench, judge’s chamber, and additional office space. Due to the limited space of the physical building the project was designed and constructed to maximize the space, and comply with new ADA regulations. New flooring, lighting and upgraded HVAC units were installed in the renovated spaces.
We were faced with the challenge of providing high quality materials and workmanship on the woodwork in the courtroom and met this challenge working diligently with the AOC and project team to determine materials that could be reutilized from the existing structure and new materials for the project. Our team also discovered hidden space in the wall of the existing structure. The2-foot-thick concrete walls were structural and because this is a historic building, we could not core through them. Sundt worked with the architect to create a structural solution and the building department to get this major design change approved. This unforeseen additional space was used to create a hallway and ramp directly from the judge’s chambers to the courtroom.
Awards & Accolades
2009 Outstanding Achievement Award: Public Facilities, Western Council of Construction Consumers (WCCC)